Chaplains Chatting Headline Animator

Friday, October 11, 2013

A little chat online with Wendy Harmer - About Miley Cyrus & Guiding Children

Putting aside the myriad opinions of Miley’s bare bum, I’d like to support every parent who is struggling to set boundaries and have them respected. It’s a tough road, but it’s our duty and responsibility. And having a young person’s mind to guide? That’s a wonderful privilege, so we have to step up.
(Wendy Harmer)

“I’m talking from the perspective of the parents of those young fans. The whole thing is about their children’s protection. Is it appropriate for seven-year-olds to be thrusting their pelvises like pole dancers? I really don’t think so.

“Boundaries need to be put in place so that young kids aren’t barraged by market forces exploiting the ‘normalisation’ of explicit sex in under age entertainment.

(Annie Lennox)

Cheers Wendy for talking about this, and especially your own learning curve on being a 'framework maker.' The boundaries matter to me also in raising my young kids, who are already sifting through and emulating the moves of pop heroes from TV & Youtube. It's a rosy view of human nature and childhood to say that critical thinking will just 'kick in' when a kid hears moral options discussed and no judgments. Experienced people know different:
At the tender ages of 7-12, a moral decision maker is emerging but only one 
that emulates the judgment calls of respected adult people that they love. You are allowed to judge. Isn't the young woman telling you that you're being judgmental, judging you and what you're about? Of course she is. And I, like you, judge that Miley C is putting her global business strategy ahead of discernment about sexual displays and lewd behaviour. I judge that my son and his mates should not be viewing those displays - whether it's on TV or in a local park. The mass market context of those music videos does not magically adjust the moral content of it. What she's doing may be aesthetically nice, but it's lewd, and I judge so for myself and my son.

I hear dad's wisdom in my head about a need for loving but firm limits to what we'll watch, enjoy and think on 'around here'. He shows me that such things are more often 'caught' than 'taught'. 

(Al Hewetson)

No comments: